How your dentist in El Paso, TX, can help you maintain your smile
You’ve probably heard a lot about periodontal disease. Now, you may be wondering if you have it! The truth is, there are some definite signs and symptoms of periodontal disease, but only your dentist can tell you for sure whether you have periodontal disease.
Dr. Steve Yi at El Paso Viva Dental in El Paso, TX, offers a full range of services, including periodontal disease therapy to help you maintain your smile. He proudly serves residents of El Paso and New Mexico areas and he can help you and your smile too!
Periodontal disease starts out as gum disease, and it is caused by harmful bacteria contained in the plaque that clings to your teeth. You may notice these signs of gum disease:
- Slight to moderate bleeding when you brush and floss
- Red, irritated, puffy, or swollen gum tissue
- Slight discomfort when you brush, floss, or eat
- Frequent bad breath or a sour taste in your mouth
If you notice any of these signs or symptoms, it’s not too late! Gum disease can be reversed by an excellent program of brushing after meals and before bed, flossing daily, and visiting your dentist and dental hygienist for routine dental examinations and professional cleanings.
Unfortunately, gum and periodontal disease can be subtle, and you may not feel any pain until major soft tissue and bone destruction has happened. Unlike gum disease, once you have periodontal disease, it can’t be reversed. It can only be managed.
You may have periodontal disease if you experience:
- Receding gums which have exposed more of your teeth, giving your teeth an elongated look
- Spaces or gaps developing between your teeth because of tooth movement
- Feeling your teeth moving slightly when you eat or a change in your bite
- A large amount of bleeding or pus coming out from between your teeth and gums
- A frequent foul odor or sour taste in your mouth
If you notice any of these signs and symptoms, there is not a moment to lose. You could have periodontal disease! The key to effective management of periodontal disease is early diagnosis and early treatment. To find out more about treatment and effective management of periodontal disease, call Dr. Steve Yi at El Paso Viva Dental in El Paso, TX, today!