Root Canals can be essential if you have an infected tooth. Root canals aren't painful, they actually relieve pain. Your El Paso, TX, dentist, Dr. Steve Yi, of El Paso Viva Dental can treat your tooth pain.
More About Root Canals
Modern technology has come a long way, allowing your dentist to treat your tooth pain. A tooth is composed of several layers:
- The outermost layer is enamel. It's the white part of the tooth and also happens to be the strongest part.
- The second layer, under the enamel, it is called dentin. This layer is yellowish and a bit softer.
- The third layer of the tooth is called pulp. It consists of blood vessels and nerves.
- The last layer is the cementum. This part anchors the whole tooth to the jawbone.
When a cavity is deep enough to infiltrate the enamel, then the dentin, reaching the pulp and resulting in pain. Your El Paso dentist will need to remove the pulp, clean and disinfect the canal from any bacteria remaining, then seal the canal to prevent any more bacteria from entering.
Why would I need a root canal?
One of the main reasons people end up needing a root canal is because of poor oral hygiene. If you don't brush your teeth twice a day and floss at least once, then you will suffer from plaque and tartar building up. Plaque and tartar are not only difficult to clean at some point, but you have to deal with bacteria eating away at your teeth.
Here are some ways to avoid dental decay:
- Brush and floss on a regular basis
- Avoid eating sugary foods and drinks
- Drink plenty of water to remove food debris
If you have any questions or concerns about root canals, don't hesitate to call your El Paso, TX, dentist, Dr. Steve Yi. Call today to schedule an appointment: (915) 751-1007.